A couple of months ago, we announced the Flickr Photo of the Month competition and it’s been really great to see you guys sharing more and more of your amazing work with us. In fact, the standard of work on show is so good that we wanted to raise the stakes and offer a really cool prize for the image we deem the very best of the quarter.
So how does it work and what do you need to do?
Well, we’re simple folk and we like to keep things uncomplicated around here, so all you have to do is submit your best photos to our Alien Skin Software group on Flickr. Once a month, we will continue to choose a Photo of the Month, which will win a pretty cool Alien Skin t-shirt and some other goodies we have lying around the office. Then, at the beginning of the next quarter, we will go back through all the submissions of the previous three months and choose our favourite image. The winning photographer will then get the chance to choose between a Canon or Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 or an 85mm f/1.2/1.4 as their prize. Not bad, eh?
As these are some pretty major prizes, I’d like to lay out the following rules:
- There is no limit to the number of images you can add to the group, but please do just share the very best photos in your portfolio. If we’re scrolling through pages of repetitive or poorly executed images by the same photographer, the chances of your very best photo slipping through the cracks are going to be high. If we see people spamming the group trying to game the system, we may need to step in and revisit this, so help us keep the submissions open by keeping the quality high. As photographers we need to make sure we’re only presenting our best work, so remember the famous phrase: “You’re only as good as your worst photo!”
- Like all art, opinion on the merits, or lack thereof, of someone’s photographic work is a subjective matter, so you need to know that the qualities we will be looking for will be based on the standard areas we strive to perfect as photographers: composition, lighting, toning, posing, conveying of emotion, defining moments, etc. Basically, we want to see good photos!
- The use of Alien Skin Software tools such as Exposure, Bokeh or Snap Art in the post-production process is required, but we will be giving extra points to photographs that use the toolset to enhance versus overpower the photo. For example, taking a photo of a modern Ferrari and applying one of Exposure’s wet plate effects will probably not impress us too much; but using that same effect with an image of a model dressed in antique garb might be just what it needs to take it from good to great. In other words, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should; let the photo dictate the effect rather than vice-versa.
- Photos submitted using a trial version of Alien Skin products are valid for this competition. If you don’t own any of our products, you can download a free trial here to see what you’re missing.
- The judges’ decisions are final. We won’t be getting into any dialogue with anyone about the quality of their images.
- Closing dates for each quarter are March 31st, June 30th, September 30th and December 31st.
So that’s it as far as rules go. Any questions can be left in the comments section below.
Best of luck everyone! Let the games commence!!
Product photos courtesy of the good people at The Digital Picture.